Thursday, January 17, 2013





Today was a great day! We got up and ate breakfast at the hotel, then left for Potsdam, a suburb of Berlin. We went to the train station that the Jews of Berlin were deported from. The memorial was iron covering the ground that had each day and the number of Jews that were deported and where to for the entire time of the deportation. It was very moving to see how many Jews got deported every day, some to Theresienstadt, some to Auschwitz, and some to other places. It was very sad and difficult to think about. We then went to the site of the Wannsee Conference, which was where the Final Solution was thought of at a breakfast meeting. It was very strange to think about how a group of Nazis could sit down and eat breakfast during a business meeting about how to systematically kill all of the Jews in Europe. After these two places, we ate lunch, which was somewhat hard after this, but I did get my Döner kabop, which was absolutely wonderful. Then, it was off to Schloß Cecilienhof, which was where the Big Three decided the future terms of Japan’s surrender. There was a lovely exhibit that I took lots of pictures of. It was really neat to finally see the location of something I have learned about for so long. The final event for the day was Schloß Sanssouci, which was Frederick the Great’s summer house in Potsdam. It was very exquisite and beautiful, and I also took many pictures here. We then headed back to the hotel, and I went to Edeka, a grocery store, to pick up some food. We headed out for dinner at a Swiss buffet, which was excellent. I have been eating so much here. Then, we came back to the hotel where we are now. I am quite tired and glad we are able to sleep in a little bit tomorrow! I didn’t have a good internet connection, so I wasn’t able to put links up today. Google any of the names that you would like more information about and I’m sure plenty of information will come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment