Tuesday, January 29, 2013


Yesterday was one of the days I had anticipated from before the trip. We went to the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, or Military History Museum. Germany doesn’t have one of these for the obvious reason that they don’t feel their military history should be celebrated in this way. However, the Austrian one was amazing. I got to see something I have wanted to see for quite some time. For those of you who remember anything about World War One, you will remember Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand. He was the man who was assassinated, and that event triggered the war. The problem was too many secret alliances and emerging nationalism, but his assassination by the Serbs set of the conflict. In the World War One exhibit at the museum, I got to see both the car (with the bullet hole) that he was riding in when he was shot and his bloody uniform, also with a bullet hole. It was eerie to think that nearly a hundred years ago, all that happened in that car and to the man wearing that uniform. I was so happy to see that. After this museum, three of us went to the art museum in Vienna, where I saw so much beautiful art. I saw many Monet paintings as well as a special Gustav Klimt exhibit. I spent several hours in here, and I could have spent more. That was some incredible art that I unfortunately was not able to get any pictures of since that was not allowed. However, again, google images can help if you are curious. Finally, we went to an amazing dinner at Brigittenauer Stadl, which specializes in Viennese cuisine, and I had an amazing pork and spätzle dish. Spätzle is an egg noodle that I am in love with. After that, we all came back and I went to bed early!

No comments:

Post a Comment