Sunday, January 27, 2013


Yesterday, Saturday, was a good day as well. We went to the Maria Stiegen Kirsche (Kirsche is church) and explored it. It was very beautiful inside, and I planned on going to the Sunday service this morning, but sleep won. The church is very old, built in I think the early 1400s. We then went to the Holocaust memorial of Vienna, which is sadly very poor. It does a terrible job of commemorating the Holocaust and is unnoticeable unless one is specifically looking for it. Berlin’s memorial was much better and more obvious. Vienna needs to work on that, but that’s pretty much the only fault I can find with it. After that, we visited the monument to the Plague. Again, you can just google Plague monument Vienna and I’m sure there will be tons of information. It was very Catholic in the way it looked and it was even partially gold plated. There were Latin inscriptions on it that I could pretty much read which again made me feel special. That Latin did pay off. Then, we went to the Hofburg museum. The Hofburg palace was the one that the Habsburgs lived in before they had Schönbrunn built. It was an interesting exhibit, overly focused on their lifestyles but still interesting. It was basically rooms and rooms of dishes and silverware (and goldware) that the royalty used for state dinners. It was very impressive and beautiful, and I took many pictures, but the exhibits were a bit narrow. After that, we went up to a mountain near Vienna. I can’t remember what exactly it is called, and I can’t look it up because the internet is evil here. However, it was about 1500 feet high and the view of Vienna was even better than from Stephansdom, the cathedral. My only regret is that it was January so it was somewhat hazy, but other than that, it was amazing. After that, we went back into Vienna to Stephansdom to look at the inside of it. Earlier, we had only gone up into the tower. It was very ornate and beautiful inside. People were taking communion in it and a beautiful band was playing the appropriate classical music. It was a perfect scene. I have had so much fun these days in Vienna!

No comments:

Post a Comment